Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Corn Pudding

The mister and I alternate which family we spend holidays with for the 3 biggies ... 
Turkey, Christmas and Easter.  

We used to kill ourselves trying to make it to his grandparents, my mom, his other grandparents, my other family crap and the bar.  We only have so much holiday cheer.
The decision to spend an entire holiday with one family was met with mixed reviews, but everyone has gotten used to the rotation and this Thanksgiving is with his family.

While Eric and I are a lot alike, our family holiday traditions are vastly different.
For every holiday, Eric's family serves the exact same meal... and everyone has an 'assigned' dish.  The whole ordeal runs like clockwork.  Grandma makes pie, his mom makes salad, Aunt #1 green bean casserole, Aunt # 2 sweet potato crap, Grandma turkey, yadda yadda.  

There are no surprises.  
(There are plastic cups with your name sharpied on them, 
but that only surprised me the first time.)

Since I've joined this family, my assigned dish is Corn Pudding.  Now, this was a stretch when I suggested it.  This would be replacing the can of corn Aunt #3 that can't cook brings.
My dish was on a trial basis the first year.
(with the can of corn lurking around as back up I'm sure)
Four years later, the Corn Pudding has become a staple.
I think it made the cut because it still contains pretty ghetto Thanksgiving pantry items... 



8 oz light sour cream
1 stick melted butter
1 can creamed corn (16 oz)
1 can whole kernel corn (16 oz)
1 package Jiffy corn muffin mix (8 oz)

Mix it all up.  Spread in greased baking dish.
Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes.


I also like to shake things up and bring a 'wildcard' item.  It cracks me up to see the "wherethehell are we going to put these stuffed mushrooms that were not an assigned menu item" faces that inevitably ensue.  
One year I made honey butter to go along with my assigned store-bought rolls.  hysterical!
This year I made bacon wrapped water chestnuts.


Anything wrapped in bacon wins with this crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment