I just made a triple batch of this BBQ goodness for my bestie's baby's baptism bash.
Simple, but it does take a little time to make.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Three 12-ounce cans Dr. Pepper
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
In a small sauce pan over med-low heat, reduce 2 cans of Dr Pepper until it is a thin syrup.
In a large pot over med heat, combine butter, onion & garlic and cook until translucent.
Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for approximately 30-40 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken.
Once your Dr Pepper has reduced to a syrup,
add it to the BBQ mixture and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool before storing it in the fridge in an airtight container.
This is super delicious on pulled pork!