Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pumpkin Shells and Cheese

Yesterday Eric and I both spilled giant cups of coffee before 8am ... him at work, me in my car, totally unrelated incidents, but events that kick off semi-crappy days all around.  
By the time we dragged ourselves in the door around 7pm, 
we were ready for sweats, couch and comfort food.  

I remembered reading this recipe on the elefantitas alegres blog 
(she does Menu Sundays and I get a ton of dinner ideas there)

Recipe only slightly altered.


1 lb box whole wheat  medium pasta shells
3 T butter + 1 T for topping
4 T flour
3 c milk (I used fat free)
6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
6 oz Velveta cheese, cubed
1 c pumpkin puree
1 T fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/2 c panko bread crumbs

Cook pasta in heavily salted water, removing from heat and draining 3 minutes prior to the specified cook time on the package.  
Melt 3 T butter in a large skillet over Medium-High heat. Add flour, whisking for about 30 seconds. Add 2 cups of milk and the rosemary, whisking continuously until smooth.  Add the third cup of milk and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.  
Turn down heat to Medium, add cheese blend and whisk until combined.  Add Velveeta and stir until fully melted and combined.  Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne, and pumpkin.
Toss cheese sauce with cooked pasta and pour into a greased casserole dish {9x13}.  Top with breadcrumbs and dot with remaining tablespoon of butter.  
Bake for 30 mins at 400 degrees. 

I served this with quick sauteed spinach with garlic.


*note: I added spicy chicken sausage (browned/crumbled) to the mac for Eric, but I'd leave it out for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment