Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pumpkin Soup

Today I'm lunching with the ladies that will be working at the new shop.
I'm making pumpkin soup and my mom is making a fall salad. Super easy stuff!


Pumpkin Soup:
2T butter / 2 T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion - finely chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 t crushed red pepper
1 t curry powder
2 t ground coriander
3 (15oz) cans pure pumpkin
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups milk (I used 2%)
2 T light brown sugar
1 c heavy cream
salt / pepper

Saute onion & garlic over med heat in butter/oil until soft.
Add spices and cook another few minutes.
Add pumpkin and chicken stock.  Blend well.
Use immersion blender to puree soup on the stove top.
(I sometimes skip this step if the onions and garlic are chopped finely enough.)
With soup on low heat, add brown sugar.
While stirring, add milk & heavy cream.
Finish with salt/pepper to taste.

Garnish with cinnamon croutons or toasted pumpkin seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment