Monday, October 10, 2011

Challenge: Master Bedroom

I have several home challenges to tackle in the next 6 months or so.

We LOVE our house and I really like our funky mix-n-match design throughout.
Is this how I would decorate my home if I had a billion dollars?  No.
But our house is decorated with a modern eye, a sense of mixed styles and a shoestring budget.  In the words of Tim Gunn, we 'make it work'.

When we bought our house 2 years ago, there were some rooms that felt the budget love and others that were put on the B-list until a later date.

I'm starting to tackle that list and I'm starting at the top in the Master Bedroom.
Our house is a Cape Cod style with an open layout, one-room second floor.  This room hit the B-list for that very reason... no one really needed to go up there besides us!

We hastily chose a paint color (with lofty visions of a future design in mind), slapped it on the walls, shoved our furniture in there and haven’t touched it since.

So, I’m giving myself $200 to make it over into a room we love.
The Timeline: Before Thanksgiving. 
Scaled layout of the current room.  Pardon the crappy picture it's attached to. 
 
Goals:
Paint Color 
(Three sample swatches painted!)
Area Rug 
(for our ‘sitting area’)
Love Seat 
(needs some love, it’s looking a little ‘used’)
Throw pillows 
(for couch and bed)
Vanity stool
(fabric to reupholster)
Art solution for stairway
Paint/Refinish: chest, little stand & end table

Long-Term non-$200 Budget Goals for a later date:
Window Treatments
New Bed Frame/Headboard
Pull-out closet doors (+ great hardware)
Master Bathroom

That’s a huge list and a tiny budget, but I totally think it’s doable.  My other goal is to make the whole room feel more gender-neutral.  Yeah, I dig a floral or damask, but I like chevron just as much, so I’m going to try to lean towards a more neutral vibe 
(did ya hear that?  It was Eric cheering.)

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment