Thursday, February 16, 2012

Winter Salad

We eat tons of salads.  Most of them are pretty boring, so I don't bother posting them. 
This one, however, knocked my socks off ... 
it has all of the flavors of winter a salad could ask for.  Yum.

Baby spinach, washed/dryed
Navel orange, segmented
Fennel bulb, thinly sliced
Cracked Black Pepper Sugar Almonds (recipe here - I halved the sugar to keep it really spicy!)
Grilled chicken (optional)
Ginger orange vinaigrette (basic recipe to follow)

Add as much of each ingredient to your bed of spinach as you like.
Toss with dressing and serve!


For the dressing I combined extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar.  Splashed in some of the juice from my orange, added lots of salt and pepper, a tiny bit of sugar (Truvia) and then I added a few slices of fresh ginger.  With a wooden spoon, I slightly broke up the ginger pieces while they were in the dressing.  I let the mixture sit while I was at dance (6 hours-ish), removed the slices of ginger and tossed it with my salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment